Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Making Flowers with PAINTED PAPER!



I really need to spice up our "art life."
I'm feeling like we are using the same items in our projects lately. You know what I mean?!

Since we are in an art material rut I decided to take matters into my own hands. I told Biscuit that we needed to Paint our paper!!! You all may remember this trick from elementary school art class. It's a good one! All you need to do is grab some white paper and let your child paint it.
I promise it is more exciting than it sounds. :)

Here is what you need....
You can make your colors a bit more festive before painting.
For example ~ I added white to my green and orange paint to brighten them up a bit. Then I added some blue to my pink paint to make a pretty lavender. Biscuit mixed some red and orange with yellow and white.

Our color mixing....


 


After mixing all of the paint Biscuit grabbed a brush and got to work.
I had her paint the paper on a cookie sheet to contain the mess and give her a defined work space.



She used multiple colors on each piece of paper and she added fingerprints and brush strokes too!
 It looked amazing!


Then she used her paint scraper.


Phew! After painting all of that paper we left each piece out to dry overnight.

The next morning I cut the paper into different shapes to resemble flower petals and stems.

I set up a table with all of the cut outs, some glue, and plain old construction paper (blah) and told Biscuit she could use all of the materials to make flowers.

Here she is hard at work....







 



This was a terrific project!

 We had a blast and now we have beautiful spring art to hang up!

What are you still doing here?! Go paint some paper!!

Happy Playing & Exploring!!!


10 comments:

  1. Aren't paint scrapers the BEST? Something so simple is so stinking fun. We need to mix our paints, thanks for the suggestion. I feel like I'm in a color rut. The boys probably don't care, in fact Jett almost always requests green paint. I'm the one who is bored of the same shades, LOL. I was going to order some different colors, but I like your idea better since we already have a ton of paint. Very cute flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love paint scrapers!! Have fun painting your paper and I hope Jett likes it!! ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh, how fun!! I love them. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you share with us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Just in time for Spring! (How do you like all this rain in the Bay Area!) I love to use my son's old paintings for birthday cards and wrapping paper and holiday cards, but I never thought of Spring flowers! I pinned you here with a link back! http://pinterest.com/lnmontessori/artsy-diy/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like she had a lot of fun. I'll have to try the paint scrapers. My kids love painting and would enjoy using them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Painting the paper - but keep missing the key moment with my 2 year old before it goes from painting to brown and soggy (think we need stronger paper to paint onto).

    Thank you for linking to Kid's Co-op this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great!!!! I love it! I will definately do it in class it is such a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Morgan! I featured a link to your wonderful flower art project in my blog post for fav. Springtime activities, can I use one of your painted flower photos in my blog post? Let me know, thanks! http://www.montessori-on-a-budget.com/ (I'll publish the post this week, it's not up yet.)

    ReplyDelete