Monday, January 16, 2012

A plain old box and a little imagination

You all know that dramatic play is an essential part of early childhood development. Through dramatic play children develop self-esteem and explore concepts from the world around them.

I really need to "spice up" our  dramatic play area, the usual rotations are getting old around here. I have been debating whether or not to buy Biscuit a puppet theatre. Then I thought ~ why buy one when she can make one?!

I took a cardboard box and had her paint a "curtain" on it. Then I took a box cutter and sliced out an opening. We positioned the box on two chairs and spent a good chunk of the morning performing. It is such a simple activity yet so very productive. A wonderful way to celebrate dramatic play.



Preparing the box!


Act I
"Zebra and Duck"



Act II
"Bunny"

The performance was hard work and Bunny needed a nap.

Then he needed a snack.

Act III
"Puppy Dog"

The Grand Finale was quite exciting!

***********************************************

How do you spice up your dramatic play?!

Happy Playing & Exploring!



We linked up



4 comments:

  1. Oh for cuteness sakes! I love this post! Found you at TGIF.I'd like to invite you to share this post with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect idea for a box!! Such fun play!!! I shared wtih my Facebook readers here:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Living-Life-Intentionally/261252997248957 - Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a GREAT week,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete